Configuring the Jira Cloud Integration
TestRail provides a rich and unique integration with Jira Cloud to push bug reports to Jira during testing, link issues to test results, look up issue details from TestRail and full requirement coverage integration. To read more about Jira and TestRail integration you can view additional information here.
You must be an administrative user for both TestRail and Jira Cloud or must have sufficient user privileges.
- Generate a Jira Cloud API Token
- Configure Jira Integration
- Enable TestRail add-on in Jira Cloud (recommended)
- Configure TestRail Add-on
Generate a Jira Cloud API Token
- Login to your Jira Cloud instance and go to account settings. This can be accessed by clicking your circle icon on the top right-hand side and selecting Account Settings. Alternatively, click here and skip to Step 3.
- Select the Security menu and click on the Create and manage API tokens link.
- Click Create API token and provide a label name. This can be anything you prefer.
- Be sure to copy or save your token as you will need this later on. Afterwards, proceed with selecting Close.
Configure Jira Integration
- Login to your TestRail instance, select the Administration > Integration.
- Select the Configure Jira Integration button.
- Provide your Jira Cloud Web Address URL. Usually, it looks something like “https://yourcustomname.atlassian.net”.
- Under Jira Version, it should remain Jira Cloud as the option.
- Under Jira Email address, provide the email address you have with your Jira Cloud instance.
- Ensure that both the Defect and Reference checkboxes are enabled and select Save Settings.
- Scroll down and select Save Settings to finalize the changes.
Manual Jira configuration
Do you prefer to configure the Jira integration manually or need to customize, extend, or change the integration? No problem, you can also easily configure the Jira integration from TestRail’s side manually with a few simple steps.
You can also configure different integrations for different projects. To do so, simply configure the integration for each project under Administration > Projects > edit a project > Defects / References tabs. Learn more about configuring the integration manually or how to customize and adjust the integration here:
3. Add-on for Jira Cloud
The optional (but highly recommended!) Atlassian Connect add-on for JIRA Cloud allows you to directly review related test results, test case links, TestRail dashboard statistics and new case buttons directly from inside Jira. To get started, simply activate the TestRail add-on for Jira Cloud from the Atlassian Marketplace:
Alternatively, you or your Jira administrator to enable the add-on directly from Jira under Settings > Apps > Find New Apps, then search for TestRail. From there, click the TestRail app > Get App > Get It Now.
Next, simply configure the add-on with your TestRail address and key. From Jira’s administration area, select Manage apps, expand the TestRail for Jira Test Management app, and click Configure. Then simply configure your TestRail address and integration key and any additional optional settings.
You can also limit the add-on to select Jira user groups or projects to hide the integration from users who don’t currently use TestRail.